Saturday, May 23, 2009

A picture of the past...and a request



This is a photo of my mom's family taken in the 1950's. She had 5 sisters and one brother. My mom was the second oldest. (That's her on the far right.) 
One of her younger sisters died in 1993 from breast cancer. Her father died suddenly in 2004. In 2005, my mom was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. She passed away on May 14, 2006, only a year after her diagnosis. 
I'm so grateful to be able to say that I'm confident she knew the Lord and was taken into His arms at the moment of her death. But, honestly, I would have enjoyed having her with us a while longer. Her grandkids are fast forgetting her. They were only 5, 7, and 8 when she died. My mom was only 58.
Her diagnosis and subsequent treatment, then death, seemed sudden. But we were told that her cancer, though aggressive, was very slow-growing, and could have been there up to ten years before she found out. She had never had a colonoscopy. 
Dear readers, listen to your body. Talk to your doctor. And most of all, live. Right now. Today. 

Question: If I registered for this, would anyone join me? Support me? Root me on? Colon cancer is deadly in it's last stages, but one of the most treatable at stage I. Let's help get out the word.

8 comments:

Tracy Green said...

Sorry can't join you. How would I support you? Donation? I would definitely root you on!

Leigh said...

Thanks Tracy! I'm thinking of joining as an individual. If I do, I'll be sure to let everyone here know so they can donate!

Anonymous said...

Leigh, I would like to pay your registration fee & make a donation. Talk to you soon. Love, cindy

Curtis said...

I'll support you.

Leigh said...

You guys are awesome!

Kristen said...

I'd love to join you if you'd have me! At the very least, count on me to support you for sure.

Leigh said...

Love to have you Kwish! ;) Should we form up a team?

Kristen said...

YES! I can't really tackle the fundraising at work, too. One of my coworkers did the 3-Day walk last year and was very successful with raising money. I'm excited. :)

Here's my email kristenbenson@msn.com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

From Twitter

    Every little thing I've been blogging about...

    1st Monday (1) 4th of July (1) about me page (1) actions (1) Animals (41) awards (1) babies (1) bakerella (1) Birthdays (6) Blog Hop (3) blog roll (1) bugs (1) canon t1i (6) Capitol Day (1) celebrities (2) Colon Cancer Alliance (1) cousins (2) Crafty (12) Creepy Crawly Things (5) D (1) dairy farm (1) Daybook (4) Demo Team (1) Digital Scrapbooking (2) DIY (1) Doktor Kaboom (2) Excuses (1) faith (12) family (4) Field Trips (4) FIF (1) Food (24) football (1) fossils (1) friends (6) Fun stuff (3) Funny Characters (4) Gardening (2) gifts (1) giveaways (2) goats (1) graduation (1) happy homemaker (33) Heroic Deeds (1) home ec (5) House (3) Hunting (1) i heart faces (9) iMac (1) Intro (1) jessica sprague card making (3) jessica sprague PSE lessons (9) karate (10) karate camp (1) Kids (49) kitchen (1) kittens (1) lightroom (1) LOTHF tour (2) maddy (3) memorial day (1) military support (1) Mom (1) Morgan (10) motorcycles (1) move (1) music (3) nature (4) near death experiences (1) new year's eve (1) pets (7) PhotoHunt (2) photowalk (1) politicians (1) random stuff (22) rec (1) Recipes (16) reunions (2) round robin (1) Scarborough Faire (3) Scenery (12) School (5) self (1) sewing (5) shoes (1) sickness (3) slow cooking thursday (2) Snapshots of a Saturday (16) snow (1) stellan (1) summer (2) summer fun list (3) Tawny (2) TCBC (1) test posts (2) Texas Chapter of the National Coalition for Public School Options (1) textures (1) Thanksgiving 09 (3) Tristan (6) Trixie (7) vacation (13) Waco adventures (8) Weather (6) wind farm (1) witty comebacks (1)
    MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

      © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

    Back to TOP