Thursday, April 29, 2010

Big Dogs

You can't really do without them out here in the country.

Meet Honey...


You might have seen her here before. We rescued her about 10 months ago. She was a birthday present for my oldest daughter. A "puppy" when we got her, she only weighed 37 pounds. Now she's well on her way to 100 and I'm not sure she's done growing. She still has some of that puppy physique.
She's eaten parts of my rocking chairs and the trim around my doors. She barks all night and runs away constantly (always returning eventually). She growls if you come outside and ignore her. She's a pest that attracts every cockleburr within a mile radius of here. We love her.

Then there's JoJo...


She's the original big dog around here. We've had her for 10 years. She also pushes 100 pounds, but that's because she's fat and lazy. But after years of fighting coyotes, stray dogs, and the occasional skunk, I'd say she deserves a rest.
She acts aloof, but she's fiercely loyal to our family. She likes to stay at my in-laws some days. It's just a jaunt across the pasture after all. She's not as spry as she used to be and I get tears in my eyes just thinking about how soon she might be gone from us. There will never be a dog to replace her.
Did I mention she's camera shy?

Coming soon...Little Dogs


Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

Blair Roy said...

Aww! I miss Honey and Jojo!! Cute pics. Tell Maddy I said hey! =D

Lori said...

Great bios to go along with those great pictures. I've had a dog all of my life and when I left home to go to college I rescued Goldie from the ASPCA She had a full wonderful life until she passed at the age of 14. Now we have 4 Russian Blues, that's all I can handle...4 cats and 3 children. :) Can't wait to see your little dogs.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

From Twitter

    Every little thing I've been blogging about...

    1st Monday (1) 4th of July (1) about me page (1) actions (1) Animals (41) awards (1) babies (1) bakerella (1) Birthdays (6) Blog Hop (3) blog roll (1) bugs (1) canon t1i (6) Capitol Day (1) celebrities (2) Colon Cancer Alliance (1) cousins (2) Crafty (12) Creepy Crawly Things (5) D (1) dairy farm (1) Daybook (4) Demo Team (1) Digital Scrapbooking (2) DIY (1) Doktor Kaboom (2) Excuses (1) faith (12) family (4) Field Trips (4) FIF (1) Food (24) football (1) fossils (1) friends (6) Fun stuff (3) Funny Characters (4) Gardening (2) gifts (1) giveaways (2) goats (1) graduation (1) happy homemaker (33) Heroic Deeds (1) home ec (5) House (3) Hunting (1) i heart faces (9) iMac (1) Intro (1) jessica sprague card making (3) jessica sprague PSE lessons (9) karate (10) karate camp (1) Kids (49) kitchen (1) kittens (1) lightroom (1) LOTHF tour (2) maddy (3) memorial day (1) military support (1) Mom (1) Morgan (10) motorcycles (1) move (1) music (3) nature (4) near death experiences (1) new year's eve (1) pets (7) PhotoHunt (2) photowalk (1) politicians (1) random stuff (22) rec (1) Recipes (16) reunions (2) round robin (1) Scarborough Faire (3) Scenery (12) School (5) self (1) sewing (5) shoes (1) sickness (3) slow cooking thursday (2) Snapshots of a Saturday (16) snow (1) stellan (1) summer (2) summer fun list (3) Tawny (2) TCBC (1) test posts (2) Texas Chapter of the National Coalition for Public School Options (1) textures (1) Thanksgiving 09 (3) Tristan (6) Trixie (7) vacation (13) Waco adventures (8) Weather (6) wind farm (1) witty comebacks (1)
    MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

      © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

    Back to TOP